Living with anxiety can be overwhelming and impact every aspect of your life. In Calgary, the prevalence of anxiety disorders has risen significantly, affecting individuals of all ages and backgrounds. At Clearview Counselling, we understand the challenges you face and are here to help.
Anxiety is more than just feeling stressed or worried. It is a persistent and excessive fear or worry about everyday situations. When anxiety begins to interfere with your daily life or relationship, it may be a sign of an anxiety disorder. Different types of anxiety disorders include generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, and specific phobias.
Benefits of Anxiety Therapy
When it comes to finding effective anxiety therapy in Calgary, Clearview Counselling is a trusted option. Our team of highly skilled and experienced therapists are dedicated to helping individuals overcome anxiety and improve their quality of life. By seeking therapy at Clearview Counselling, you can expect:
- Access to highly skilled and experienced therapists: Our therapists specialize in anxiety therapy and are trained in evidence-based approaches that have been proven effective in treating anxiety disorders.
- Tailored treatment plans based on individual needs: At Clearview Counselling, we understand that every individual is unique. Your therapist will work with you to develop a personalized treatment plan that addresses your specific concerns and goals.
- Evidence-based therapy approaches for anxiety management: Our therapists utilize evidence-based approaches, such as Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Exposure Therapy, and Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), to help you understand and manage your anxiety effectively.
Anxiety Therapy Approaches
The team of therapists at Clearview Counselling integrate a number of approaches to treating anxiety and anxiety disorders.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT): CBT focuses on identifying and changing negative thought patterns and behaviors that contribute to anxiety. By challenging these thoughts and beliefs, you can develop healthier coping strategies and gain control over your anxiety.
- Exposure Therapy: Exposure therapy involves gradually and safely confronting your fears and anxieties. Through repeated exposure to anxiety-provoking situations, you can learn to overcome your fears and reduce the accompanying anxiety symptoms. There are a number of types of therapies that include an element of exposure including Prolonged Exposure Therapy (PET), Accelerated Resolution Therapy (ART), and Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR).
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR): MBSR combines mindfulness meditation, gentle yoga, and other mindfulness-based practices to cultivate greater awareness of the present moment. By developing mindfulness skills, you can reduce anxiety and improve your overall well-being.
How Clearview Counselling Helps Clients with Anxiety
When you choose Clearview Counselling for anxiety therapy in Calgary, our compassionate therapists will guide you through the following steps:
- Assessment and diagnosis process: Your therapist will conduct a thorough assessment to understand the nature and severity of your anxiety. This will help develop an individualized treatment plan that suits your needs.
- Collaborative goal-setting and treatment planning: Together with your therapist, you will identify specific goals and develop a treatment plan that focuses on addressing your unique challenges. This collaborative approach ensures that your therapy aligns with your personal preferences and values.
- Techniques and strategies for managing anxiety: Your therapist will teach you practical techniques and coping strategies to help you manage anxiety in real-life situations. These strategies may include relaxation exercises, cognitive restructuring, breathing techniques, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions about Anxiety Therapy
If you find that your anxiety is interfering with your daily life, relationships, work, or overall well-being, it may be beneficial to seek anxiety therapy. Symptoms of anxiety disorders can range from excessive worrying to physical symptoms like panic attacks or avoidance behaviors.
Anxiety is different than worry. Worry is typically about something specific, makes sense in context, and is connected to a specific challenge your brain is working to solve. Anxiety, on the other hand, is often vague or diffuse – applying to many aspects of life at the same time. Anxiety often includes a collection of mental/psychological, physical, and behavioural symptoms such as dry mouth, racing mind, sweaty palms, pounding heart, clenched muscles, nausea, rumination, irritability, sleep problems, and difficulty concentrating.
During your first anxiety therapy session at Clearview Counselling, your therapist will take the time to understand your concerns, symptoms, and treatment goals. They may ask questions about your background, medical history, and previous experiences with anxiety. This session is an opportunity for you to share your story and establish a therapeutic relationship with your therapist.
The duration of anxiety therapy varies from person to person. It depends on factors such as the severity of your anxiety, the type of anxiety or anxiety disorder you are experiencing, and your personal treatment goals. Some individuals may benefit from short-term therapy, while others may require more extended support. Your therapist will work with you to determine the appropriate length of therapy.
At Clearview Counselling, our therapists utilize evidence-based approaches such as Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Exposure Therapy, and Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR). These therapeutic techniques help in managing anxious thoughts, challenging negative beliefs, gradually confronting fears, and developing mindfulness skills.
Medication can be a helpful tool in managing anxiety. If your therapist believes that medication could be beneficial for your treatment, they may suggest you speak to your family doctor or a psychiatrist to explore your options. While psychologists can not prescribe medications, that may work alongside a prescribing physician to ensure comprehensive care. It is essential to discuss your concerns and preferences with both your therapist and healthcare provider.
Many insurance plans and extended health benefits cover some or all of the costs associated with anxiety therapy. However, coverage varies depending on your specific insurance provider and policy. It is recommended to contact your insurance company to inquire about your coverage for mental health services.
The frequency of therapy sessions depends on your individual needs. Initially, sessions may be scheduled weekly or biweekly to establish a therapeutic relationship and address immediate concerns. As therapy progresses and you develop coping skills, sessions may be spaced out to once every few weeks. Your therapist will collaborate with you to determine the appropriate session frequency.
Yes, your therapist at Clearview Counselling is committed to maintaining confidentiality. They adhere to professional ethical guidelines and legal requirements to protect your privacy. However, there are a few exceptions to confidentiality, such as instances where there is a risk of harm to yourself or others. Your therapist will discuss these exceptions with you during your initial sessions.
Involving family or loved ones in your therapy sessions can be beneficial, depending on the situation. You and your therapist decide to invite your family or loved ones to attend a few sessions to provide support and enhance your treatment. However, this decision will be made collaboratively, based on your specific needs and preferences, and with your express consent.
The timeline for seeing results from anxiety therapy varies depending on several factors, including the severity of your anxiety, your commitment to therapy, and the treatment approach used. Some individuals may experience improvements early on, while others may require more time. Your therapist will work with you to set realistic goals and provide ongoing support throughout your therapy journey.
Don’t let anxiety limit your life. Clearview Counselling is here to provide effective anxiety therapy in Calgary. Our experienced therapists will work with you to develop personalized strategies and empower you with the tools needed to manage and overcome anxiety. Take the first step towards a better quality of life by reaching out to Clearview Counselling today.